Okay, so this year at kickoff I was pretty excited about the game piece because there would be no possible way that we throw a big giant exercise ball into the canal (as we did several times with Frisbees)! Right? Not really.
Today we were outside having an awesome time testing our robot’s catching abilities. We did so by throwing and kicking the ball around to test different types of passes into the robot. I’m not quite sure what happened, but the ball ended up over the fence after a kick by Damian.
Luckily, Zach somehow managed to get the ball, and all was well in the world. Except for the fact that it was wet. Oh well.
But anyway, about the robot. We’ve been receiving a lot of feedback about our wheeled shooter, as many teams are shying away from that approach. Most of the feedback has been compliments, but one concern of many people is that we mark up the balls. Frequent marking is against rule G10 in the manual.
So today we tried to fix it. We bent the shooter arms, tried bane-bots wheels, added tensioners, and did who knows what. After two and a half hours of doing this and feeling pretty discouraged about the results, we straightened the shooter and ground down the white treaded wheels from last year’s Kit of Parts. This actually worked well, and didn’t mark up the ball (I think).
I guess the lesson for today is that you shouldn’t just leave an idea when it doesn’t work. This happened last week too, when we abandoned our shooter because it wouldn’t fit in the base. We solved that, and solved our problem today in very easy ways. Don’t be discouraged when things don’t work out the first time!
The can crusher goes live during lunch tomorrow, so be sure to check it out!!
Today Sneha helped compile a list of the “merch” that we need.
We had a nice dinner provided by Mrs. Lovegren.
And Mayuri has bronchitis! Oh no! So, in the meantime, I’m writing overtime. Enjoy.