Sorry for the lack of blog posts lately, this has been a crazy weekend.
We had a four day weekend, and were able to use every day of it.
On Friday morning, the senior engineering students had an internship at a bio-medical engineering firm. That was pretty great, but of course we were anxious to get back to the shop and work on the robot. We got some work done on swerve.
On Saturday, the work heated up for the Electrical division. In the morning, Andrey, Zach, and Lexi finished up wiring the robot with the electrical board. It looks great. After this, Ricky got to run some code for the first time! Things went well after a little debugging, however this was only with the mecanum drive. Anyway, one main event on Saturday was to attend a scrimmage in Riviera Beach hosted by team 179, Swamp Thing. It was really a great opportunity to meet with other teams and take advantage of a full field. We even got to do a triple assist with the robots from 1523. We had a lot connection issues for some reason. Over all, it was a good day to point out early problems.
Here are Gooby and Zach working hard. For some reason they reminded me of Daft Punk in Tron.
Sunday was also a busy day! Some people (including me) couldn’t make it, but there was still a lot accomplished. Gene finished up CNCing the last plate for swerve (finally!), so we’re all done. Bri walked in Sunday with the determination to finish all our swerve modules, and was met with chuckles from everyone else. But with her drive, we actually finished all four modules! Of course, this meant a late night and a complimentary Outback dinner.
Today was another day off of school for President’s Day, and of course we were back at work. Mechanically, almost everything was done, but there was still plenty to do. I worked on the robot Bill of Materials this morning, and Gene and Prajesh worked on the robot CAD. Later in the afternoon, we made the first set of bumpers for the robot.
Oh, and in that picture you can also see swerve. On the robot. Finally. Andrey and Bill did all the electrical work to get those modules running.
The robot is looking great, but I don’t want to reveal it all yet. We have 25 hours until the robot has to be sealed up until our first competition. Ricky and Andrey will be working incredibly hard tomorrow to get our code working, so we can swerve around.
And once we get that done, we can finally satisfy Damian’s desire to make a sick reveal video.
I guess Mayuri will write tomorrow, so this is my last post during the build season. Thanks to everyone who has followed along with us this season. We’ll continue to update you during the next few weeks, and especially during the competitions. I have really enjoyed writing these past six weeks, and I have enjoyed the experiences with my team. I hope that I can look back at these posts and remember the great memories.
But this is no time to get sappy. I’m ready to hit it hard at our competitions. Our motto is “go big or go home.” This year, we aren’t going home.